Looking for a new laptop

18 replies to this topic

#1 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:27 AM

So, I was trying to be more active on the forums, and then my laptop died on me. Our techie friend who took it apart for me said he thinks that the fan was clogged with dust which caused everything to burn out. He couldn't even get anything off of the hard drive when he took it out and put it in another computer. Thankfully, I'd recently backed almost everything up (lost some pictures though...). Now I'm left using the crappy home desktop that lags like hell.Anyway, I need a new laptop. It's fine cause I needed a new one anyway, but, like I said, I would appreciate some help. I've done research myself and found several that I liked, but I figure having new ideas thrown my way can't hurt.Minimum Specs required by School:Inter Core2 Duo Processor (PC or Mac)2 GB RAM (PC or Mac)Monitor screen resolution 1024 x 768 pixels or better (PC or Mac)Graphics Card : 512MB available memory (PC or Mac)10/100 Network Interface Card (PC or Mac)Wireless Card (802.11 b/g/n) (PC or Mac)3 year warranty (PC or Mac)Anti-Virus Software (PC or Mac)Windows 7 (32 bit version) (for PC) / OS 10.5 or higher (for Mac)Virtual Machine Software (VMWare Fusion 3.0 or Parallels) AND Windows 7 (for Mac)Netbooks and MacBook Airs are not acceptable.I didn't really want a Mac regardless, so I'm throwing that out. I don't feel like you get enough for your money. In addition to these specs (which aren't really much), I'd like to have one of the new 2nd gen i core processors if possible, and I'd like it to be light enough that I could carry it to class everyday. RAM's not a big issue for me; I can always upgrade that later myself for cheaper than the suppliers would charge for it. I'd also preferably like at least 2 GHz processing. Oh, and budget; nothing over $1000 please. I don't need a crazy gamer laptop; I'll mainly be using it for web browsing, watching videos, and the occasional image/video editing and gaming, although I do most of that on my XBOX nowadays. I appreciate any input you guys have!

#2 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Since you won't be gaming, you don't really even need a dedicated gfx card. The sandy bridge processors have pretty decent built in graphics, but with your budget, decent discrete graphics shouldn't be a problem. Laptop deals have been great the past month, so you are in luck right now. I recommend getting an i5 at least, though you can easily buy an i7 with your budget. Your best bet is to buy a laptop online as soon as the next deal comes up. I will post here, so subscribe to the topic or something so you will be notified quicker. Online deals usually don't last too long, the good/great ones at least.

#3 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

Thanks Fear! I'm subscribed to the topic (Immediate notification) but I didn't get an email about it when you replied, so I'll just keep checking back regularly.

#4 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

Though it's not on sale, this looks like a pretty good buy.

http://www.newegg.co...em-_-34-152-256

USB 3.0, dedicated gfx, HDMI

It is only 14" though, which seems to be a pretty popular size these days.

Falcon bought an MSI about a year ago or something and says he was pretty happy with the build quality and price.

Yea there just haven't been any deals the last couple of days, that's why I didn't post any. I'll post them if they come up though.

#5 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:07 AM

I haven't really heard much about MSI before, so I'll have to do a little research. I was actually looking at newegg right before I remembered to check this since I don't seem to be getting email updates for some reason. I don't mind the smaller screen size actually; I'm looking for something lightweight, which basically means I need a laptop in the 12" to 14" category. I also want it to be decently sturdy since it'll be traveling to and from classes (attending med school, so that's kind of a must) every day. PS: how can you tell how fast the graphics are if the gfx card is integrated, not dedicated? I've never understood what it means when it says the video memory is "shared". Like this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834246076

#6 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

'daniel' wrote:

I haven't really heard much about MSI before, so I'll have to do a little research. I was actually looking at newegg right before I remembered to check this since I don't seem to be getting email updates for some reason.

I don't mind the smaller screen size actually; I'm looking for something lightweight, which basically means I need a laptop in the 12" to 14" category. I also want it to be decently sturdy since it'll be traveling to and from classes (attending med school, so that's kind of a must) every day.

PS: how can you tell how fast the graphics are if the gfx card is integrated, not dedicated? I've never understood what it means when it says the video memory is "shared". Like this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834246076

I'm pretty sure shared means it is just coming from the processor, meaning integrated graphics (weak).

I looked in to a couple reviews, and they said the battery life was pretty bad.

BRB i gotta go, will finish post later.

#7 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

What about this one: http://www.bestbuy.c...1&skuId=2836126 No dedicated GFX card, but it has everything else I want/have to have. Lightweight, good battery life, running i5, HDMI output. Other than the GFX card, the only problem I have with it is that the HDD is 5400 RPM, not 7200.

#8 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

What do you think of this?

http://slickdeals.ne...box-360-console

Would you consider buying it and selling the Xbox?? Seems like a sick deal to me... it's got a USB 3.0 too.

Heres the same product on Newegg, battery life should be pretty damn good on this laptop too.

I would get this deal if I had the money....

It does not have a DVD drive...which may be an issue for some...didn't notice this till after the post.

---

look at this deal too, dunno about the battery life on this one, i didn't do any reseearch

#9 Falcon

Falcon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1753 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

'FaTmAn wrote:

http://www.newegg.co...em-_-34-152-256

Falcon bought an MSI about a year ago or something and says he was pretty happy with the build quality and price.

Yea there just haven't been any deals the last couple of days, that's why I didn't post any. I'll post them if they come up though.

Still rocking my i5 MSI i bought May of last year. Laptop is STILL beast.

@daniel: MSI is Microstar Incorporated, they make motherboards. In fact their mobo's are in at least 60% of the computers out there, they actually are a really old company. They are a good one for price point though.

It's like getting an ASUS build but better price lol.

They have great bonds with intel so they get their chips cheap, because of their motherboard business thats why their PC's are awesome.

#10 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

'Golden wrote:
Still rocking my i5 MSI i bought May of last year. Laptop is STILL beast. @daniel: MSI is Microstar Incorporated, they make motherboards. In fact their mobo's are in at least 60% of the computers out there, they actually are a really old company. They are a good one for price point though. It's like getting an ASUS build but better price lol. They have great bonds with intel so they get their chips cheap, because of their motherboard business thats why their PC's are awesome.
Gotcha. Thanks Falcon. I'll keep my eye on that one then. I'm also considering this one: http://www.amazon.co...08976698&sr=8-1 It also has the free Xbox, which I was planning on selling since I already have one.

#11 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Did you buy one yet? This seems like a pretty good deal too, though its 13.3", good reviews too http://slickdeals.ne...56793&t=3079119

#12 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

Not yet. Since I make no money as of yet, I have to haggle with my dad about what to get. I was really leaning towards the Toshiba Portege from Amazon (with the free Xbox I can sell back to Fry's) but this Dell doesn't seem like a bad deal. My only problem with it is that it's a bit heavier than the Toshiba, and that's just with a 4-cell battery. It comes with an 8 cell, so that's bound to make it even heavier and I wanted something light that I could tote around. I'm still mulling it over but I'll probably make a decision by the end of this week (if not the end of the day).

#13 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

'daniel' wrote:
Not yet. Since I make no money as of yet, I have to haggle with my dad about what to get. I was really leaning towards the Toshiba Portege from Amazon (with the free Xbox I can sell back to Fry's) but this Dell doesn't seem like a bad deal. My only problem with it is that it's a bit heavier than the Toshiba, and that's just with a 4-cell battery. It comes with an 8 cell, so that's bound to make it even heavier and I wanted something light that I could tote around. I'm still mulling it over but I'll probably make a decision by the end of this week (if not the end of the day).
Yea I was trying to make a reply yesterday but I think the server was being fucky. The Toshiba also comes with a 100$ giftcard right now at a bestbuy, making it a pretty good deal.

#14 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

Hey, the computer is 650 + free ship at office depot right now, if I were you, I'd pull the trigger!! http://slickdeals.ne...d.php?t=3098156 have fun! lol

#15 Lobo

Lobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

I bought mine from PC World as a refurbished laptop for £500. It has:

• intel core i5 processor
  • GeForce 310 with 512MB Ram
  • 4GB DDR3 Memory
  • 500GB Hard Drive
  • 15.6" 16:9 HD LED screen
  • super multi DL disc drive
There are loads of deals there depending on how much you want to spend.

#16 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Fear and Lobo. I've been trying to respond for a while to let you know I did buy one (the Toshiba from Best Buy with the $100 gift card) but I'm still out of the country and internet has been inconsistent. I appreciate all the help finding deals!

#17 FaTmAn

FaTmAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

'daniel' wrote:
Thanks Fear and Lobo. I've been trying to respond for a while to let you know I did buy one (the Toshiba from Best Buy with the $100 gift card) but I'm still out of the country and internet has been inconsistent. I appreciate all the help finding deals!
Nice buy, I am jealous!! Really nice laptop for school.

#18 walk on top

walk on top

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

'FaTmAn wrote:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A relative has two laptops - BOTH BROKEN!!!!

He got a desktop 3 months ago - 500 GB monster from HP!!

My desktop is old - 160 GB - and wonder if you

dudes prefer laptops over desktops or visa versa - OR HAVE BOTH???

Posted Image

Been getting 0ne thousand GB external hard drives - got three!

Posted Image

Scanners For Dummies 2nd Ed 6 mb

Posted Image

Code:
http://hotfile.com/dl/63175825/1e42cec/

#19 daniel

daniel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

I need a laptop for mobility purposes, but I personally prefer to have a laptop and a desktop. My goal is to build my own desktop once I save up the money to do so, keep this laptop til it dies and then just buy a netbook for when I'm on the go. That'll still be a while though, so I'm glad I got this laptop cause it's super fast but still light enough for me to easily carry around.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users